2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has been the talk of the town for the past few weeks as the said virus has been dispersed to more and more countries each day. This said virus is a respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan, China. People are alarmed as this large family of viruses which are common in many species of animals have been infecting people.
As mentioned by the World Health Organization, the symptoms of the said virus include the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Breathing difficulties
However there some rare and sever cases that can cause the following:
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- Kidney failure
- Extreme cases: death
Therefore, precautionary and preventive measures should be well observed as this is a serious case especially for those who are common to have low immune systems (children & elderly). Parents have stopped sending their children to school and most of the people in Singapore are already wearing masks especially in public and crowded places. This is why schools and other institutions are now more particular with all the preventive measures.
As part of our center’s mandatory precautionary measures, before letting a child/parent in we would do the following:
1. Completion of Health Declaration form from the Parents
- Parents must declare if they intend to travel overseas, or have returned from overseas from the past 14 days
- If there are symptoms of the virus as mentioned above
- Declaration if friends / relatives have travelled to Mainland China and visited them
2. Temperature Check
- If temperature falls 37.8 and above or have any flu-like symptoms, we will request the student to better stay home and rest.
- Temperature checking is observed every hour
3. Sanitization of Hands
4. Checking of Hands and Mouth
If all are clear, then we can allow the student to enter our center. However, constant checking of temperature and washing of hands are observed at most, every hour. This does not only go to our students but also to all our teachers.
There is no harm for being extra careful as we are after the well-being of our children.